We are incredibly thankful for the tireless support of people like you over the years.
Sunthorn was electrocuted when he was fifteen. He was three storeys high when the metal he was welding hit a powerline. Electricity coursed through him, burning much of his body. He spent eight months in a government hospital recovering. A surgeon trained by Dr Grace Warren recommended he come to the McKean Rehabilitation Centre for surgery and rehabilitation. Sunthorn had twenty different surgical procedures and many months of rehabilitation. Australia’s Dr Grace Warren performed skin grafts and tendon transfers—taking tendons from his legs and using them in his arms so that he could have movement in his hands. The hospital physiotherapist helped him join a trade school where he learned to paint. Sunthorn also completed 10th Grade through a correspondence school at that time.
McKean Rehabilitation Center is in Chiang Mai in northern Thailand. It provides treatment and rehabilitation for leprosy patients and people with disabilities. Next year will mark 110 years of service.
Leprosy was the reason for Sangwan’s parents’ divorce and she never again lived with her mother. So when she was nine and began to show signs of leprosy on her arms, her father sent her to live at the McKean children’s hostel and receive treatment.